Sunday, 26 August 2012

Adventures in Spain



25. Teach English as a Second Language
29. Eat only Spanish food for 1 week

On August 7th, 2012 I went to Spain with my mom to volunteer to teach English in a large group of other Anglos from around the world and Spaniards. Going into it I thought that we would be talking about grammar in a relaxed but classroom setting.  It wasn't.  When we first arrived on the site, I looked around at this group of 52 people and thought, "how am I going to talk to all these people?"  As we arrived, the other group was leaving.  I saw them all hugging and crying and laughing together and I was filled with hope that our group would end up being like that as well. It was. 

The experience was amazing to say the least.  The people were the best part.  On day one everyone was very nervous but by lunchtime we were all joking and laughing together.  I think people felt more open as we were strangers.  Everyone wanted to be there and be involved.  I heard stories of life, religion, politics, accomplishment. I felt like I really got to know other areas of Spain just by talking to the people.  It really felt like I was at a family reunion where I was meeting fellow travellers and people who want more from life just like me.  My kin. I can't explain the people.  It is what it is. 

In regards to my other experiences there, I learned to think about my language differently.  In English there are a lot of expressions like, "let's hang out," or, "it's ok, we'll wing it." I was laughing all day long when I realized that most of my conversations are expressions and not actually concrete statements.  One of my friends recently told me that I tend to speak in riddles.  Thinking before I said something was a challenge but I loved it. 

The whole experience was like a summer camp for adults.  I didn't know that such a thing existed. 

Coming back to reality was very difficult. That's the thing about travel.  When you travel somewhere you always come back with 7 more places on your list.  I was looking at my 101 things list and I think I have some changes to make. A lot of them are good ideas, don't get me wrong.  However I want to give more back to other people.  I want my actions to matter.  I'm trying to take the same care in how I chose my words in La Alberca as I choose my actions in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.