It's almost 2014 which means that the world is coming to grips with the end of a year and a beginning of a new one. Some people choose their birthdays to reflect upon years passed while others do it seasonally. Most people, at some point during the Christmas holidays - maybe even sat around a tree, commenting on the growth of children - think about what happened in the last year. … and what will the new year bring?
For me, I have decided that I want to travel more. No one is going to hand me the lotto and say: go. I'm getting older everyday which means that I need to do the things that I want. That I really really want to do. And that is travel. And yet I am a poor person. I don't have a trust fund and I don't have money for tickets around the world. So how can I achieve this goal?
I sat and thought during my Christmas vacation. I meditated. I turned my brain off and tried to look inwards for a solution. Nothing.
Frustrated, I told my friend about the problem. He bought a lotto ticket, nice guy.
So we discussed in length: what would we do if we won the lotto? We're talking maybe 6 million or something.
And I really thought about it. After blowing a few thousand on a vacation, I'd want to invest the rest (luckily my mom is a financial planner, and an excellent one at that if you need advice) and then go back to work, shut my mouth and pretend that nothing's changed. For at least 6 months. I'd want to use the interest to do the trips I've always wanted: whiskey tour in Scotland, swimming under a waterfall in Bali, eating a steak in Texas...
Then what? Maybe open a school of my own. I'd want to volunteer as well. I love people and helping them reach their goals, and that's why I like teaching English so much. Well, now, I can't open a school in Italy because bureaucratic policy won't allow it. But I can volunteer.
Volunteer… it's a nice word. Not in Canada, but abroad. Not with United way, but … something really hard like on a farm. In Switzerland. Alone.
I have an idea stirring in my heart. The idea is terrifying and absurd but my heart likes it. The idea is to take a year of my life and volunteer. It won't be this year… but soon.
Ps. The idea that I thought, took action, and then the solution was brought in front of my eyes has not been lost on me. It's actually brought me more inspiration to take more action: telling you.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.